Employment Opportunities - Senior Accountant
If you're looking for a career as a tax accountant or consultant in the Sacramento, CA area, view our openings at Cook CPA Group today.
Office Manager – Full Time
Are you someone with a passion for making a difference for clients?
Are you looking for career growth and opportunity with a CPA firm that is your “family away from home”? To work with amazing clients that value your contribution? Yet want to be home to achieve work/life balance? We have an immediate opening to help you this busy season.
We are seeking a Senior Accountant (CPA Firm) to join our firm and help us continue to support our clients. This position is ideal for someone with CPA firm experience in auditing and tax preparation who is looking to transition into a smaller firm or a firm with more opportunity for growth. If you have an interest to progress to Manager and work under the mentorship and guidance of a dynamic partner, this could be the perfect fit!
What You’ll Be Doing
- Execute the day-to-day activities of audit engagements of various clients including investment firms, franchisors, non-profits and small businesses clients. We do not perform any governmental (GAGAS) or A-133 audit engagements. And the majority of clients are local i.e. less than a week of overnight travel!
- Primary responsibility to plan an audit engagement including audit preplanning, workpaper planning and leading the audit engagement
- Coordinate with client efficiently obtaining the prepared by client (PBC) documentation
- Optimize the use of project management software Accelo to maintain transparency with client’s management how the project is progressing (and ultimately increase our profits)
- Understand and utilize PPC Smart Tools Audit Methodology
- Identify potential process improvements and communicate them to management for consideration and sharing with the client
- Provide timely answers or recommendations to clients to address or improve their accounting processes
- Supervise Staff Accountants and interns on engagements
- Proficient performing GAAP and tax research and preparing research memos for partner review
- Prepare up to 125 individual and corporate returns for partner review with majority being 1040’s and 1120-S. Small businesses, wineries, distilleries, and horse businesses comprise the majority of our corporate tax work.
- We love technology! We link Pro Engagement to tax codes to import into Ultra Tax. It is surprisingly efficient with preparing the M-1.
- Communicate to clients the necessary clean up entries required to prepare their books for tax return preparation
- Prepare key tax planning opportunities to discuss with clients during exit meetings
- Our most enjoyable engagements are the ones where we help clients prepare for their external audits. These projects present the opportunity to really learn about non-profit and governmental reporting. These are also our longest tenure clients. Your role would be to help design more efficient closing practices for the client.
A successful Senior Accountant in this role is someone who brings passion, energy and excitement to make a meaningful difference for our clients. The ideal Senior Accountant CPA in this role is someone who loves client service and the opportunity to work in both audit and tax. (Dog lovers also a plus! We have an in-house resident CPA dog – Breyer.)
- CPA license or CPA eligible / desire to obtain your CPA license
- Prior experience in public accounting in a tax or audit role
- 4-year degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Deadline driven, goal oriented “get-it-done” mentality
- GAAP financial accounting knowledge and ability to generate a completed GAAP financial statement
- Strong understanding of solid accounting processes. Ability to identify potential process improvements
- Very strong communication skills and comfort communicating with clients
- Excellent writing abilities
The Like to Haves (Desired, Not Required)
- Experience working with the QuickBooks Desktop and Online software systems
- Experience with Pro System Engagement and Ultra Tax
- Prior experience supervising a team (this role will supervise a team)
- CPA license (type A preferred)
We provide medical insurance, cell phone stipend, generous vacation time, 401K plan, and discretionary bonus potential (and foosball contests!). We will provide as much CPE as you want in addition to an executive coach. We want you to be successful at Cook CPA – the executive coach is working with our staff to develop leadership and communication skills. Like most public accounting opportunities, we sometimes work overtime. You can expect 40-50 hours a week. That said, there is almost no overnight travel!
Join our team to solve and innovate for our clients while building your career!